Hand Sanitizers are used to decrease your chances of getting sick and should be used in conjunction with consistent hand washing habits. You can thank these alcohol based formulas that kill bacteria and germs when you can’t get to a sink to wash your hands.
Keeping hand sanitizer on hand in your car, purse, backpack and in your home is essential to have available when needed. Always be sure to keep hand sanitizers out of reach from children and supervise them when using hand sanitizer, as ingesting even small amounts can be fatal.
Keep in mind that to date, there are no hand sanitizers in Canada approved with COVID-19 related claims. With that said, they are known to help reduce the risk of infection by spread of microorganisms. They must be alcohol based and meet a minimum criteria set out by Health Canada.
Alcohol based hand sanitizers must have the following warnings on the label:
- For External Use Only
- Flammability Warning: Keep away from open flame and sources of heat
- When using this product, avoid contact with eyes. If contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, call a poison control centre or get medical help right away.
To be sure you are getting a hand sanitizer that meets Health Canada’s requirements, the following link will show you. Simply locate the Natural Product Number (NPN) or Drug Identification number (DIN) on the product label. You can search that number to see if it has been approved.
Our top 5 picks are all approved by Health Canada and available on our site!
Top 5 Hand Sanitizer Products
5) Kleen Hand Sanitizer Gel – – NPN 80098426
4) Spray Get-Klear Hand Sanitizer
3) Tube Maxill Kwiky Hand Sanitizer – NPN 80015455
2) Sani Spec Gel Pump
1) Assassin Hand Sanitizer – 0% Triclosan, Parabens, DMDM Hydantoin